Bat Fit 2019: New Year’s Resolutions and Goals

batfit2019A most Happy, Healthy, and Wondrous New Year to one and all! I, for one, am very happy to kick 2018 out the door. It was a challenging year filled with health issues, physical and emotional pain, uncertainty, bitter disappointment, anger, and confusion. This was definitely one of the hardest and emotionally devastating years of my adult life, second only to the year of my Mom’s death in 2013. I’m hoping that 2013 and 2018 are the bookends to a difficult period that is now over.

Ed and I spent a quiet New Year’s Eve with our closest friends. We welcomed in the New Year with delicious food and good company. New Year’s Day was spent sleeping, spending time outside, and with family. My mother-in-law made her yearly Irish Breakfast to kick the year off. Every year her sisters in Ireland send her a Christmas care package filled with rashers, sausage, and puddings … and every year we eat Irish Breakfast for our New Year’s Day dinner. The puddings were unbelievably delicious this year! Yes, puddings … as in white and black pudding. YUM!

49274284_2117426708569000_1037129989465571328_o

Bloom.

Yesterday, I changed all of the calendars, started a new journal, and wrote my goals and resolutions for 2019. While I do have some firm health goals, my resolutions are more open-ended and reflect the long-term changes that I’d like to cultivate in my life. This year is about listening to myself more, making time to be creative, and taking care of my body, mind, and spirit. So without further ado, here are my 2019 resolutions and goals:

1. Trust my gut and listen to myself more. Be true to myself, who I am, who I am becoming, and what I want achieve. This year I am going to make an effort to block out the “peanut gallery” — the folks who like to give me unsolicited advice, offer their opinions on everything I do and everything I am, and get angry when I ignore them or don’t follow what they think is right. I will make an effort to block out the “Debbie downers,” with their negativity and their so-called “realism.” Mind your business and I’ll mind my own.
  2. Make time to create art, to knit, and to sew. Read and learn new things. Limit the time I watch TV and drastically limit unfocused internet time so that I can spend more time doing the things that matter;
  3. Focus on my spiritual practice. Modify my practice to make it more personal. Spend more time in nature observing, meditating, and making art;
  4. Do good work well and allow myself to enjoy every, single minute of it;
  5. Do not be afraid to make mistakes, especially when trying new things or doing something for the first time. Embrace the experience and learn from it;
  6. Make the necessary changes and take the steps to become healthier and stronger mentally, physically, and emotionally:
  • work out and keep active everyday. I always feel better when I’m moving and doing fun, active things;
  • mind my food portions;
  • focus on good, whole foods, lovingly cooked by me. Try new recipes and new foods;
  • limit eating out! It’s good for the pocketbook and better for my health;
  • no alcohol. Period. End of case. No, I will not discuss this with you or anyone … and no, I don’t owe anyone an explanation;
  • be kind and loving to myself. Allow myself time to heal. Stop being my own worst enemy;
  • be gracious and grateful, count my blessings and celebrate my achievements;
  • walk away from bullshit, but always fight injustice, intolerance, and hate.

While I have set a weight loss goal, I won’t be discussing it publicly. I will not discuss my numbers with anyone except my doctors. Why? I realized a long time ago I’ve lived my life very publicly through this blog (and my past blogs) and that two things have happened with Bat Fit: 1. I’ve had too many people celebrate the fact that I gained back the weight, 2. or criticize me for gaining back my weight. Apparently, a whole bunch of readers were disappointed that I didn’t embrace the whole “Chubby Blogger” thing and were really pissed off in 2012 when I lost all of my weight. A good number of them were thrilled to death that I gained it all back and sent me emails to tell me so. Other readers called me a “fake” because I gained back the weight. A “fake” what, I don’t know. I never claimed to be a medical doctor or a weight loss guru. I’m just an everyday woman who’s trying her best to make herself and her life better. I never claimed to have the “secret” to weight loss, nor am I here to help you starve yourself.

I’m not going to ask you, dear readers, to “join me in my quest” or claim that “we’re all in this together.” Frankly speaking, after the year I had, I’m in no mood or mindset to lead anyone in anything. Furthermore, I really have no energy to come up with Bat Fit 2019 challenges or “helpful hints.” I’m just going to do the things that I did in the past: exercise and be as active as I can; cook and eat smaller portions; and work on the list of goals and resolutions above. If you find inspiration or camaraderie, fabulous! If you want to share your own journey, wonderful! But don’t expect much else except updates on my progress, some yummy recipes I’ve tried, and an awful lot of gardening, outfit, and random posts about my everyday life and wild journey through 2019.

With that said, onwards and upwards my friends! Here’s to a wonderful New Year!

13 comments for “Bat Fit 2019: New Year’s Resolutions and Goals

1. 3 Jan 2019 at 9:04 pm

Good luck with your goals and resolutions! Happy New Year!

• Franny
      4 Jan 2019 at 9:02 am

Thank you! And a most Happy and Healthy New Year to you.

2. 4 Jan 2019 at 9:07 pm

Ahhhh, the peanut gallery … wouldn’t it be wonderful to be so confident to know you know absolutely everything about absolutely everything? I wish I had that kind of confidence.

Also, cannot believe people emailed you about your weight … and just when I thought nothing could surprise me anymore.

Looking forward to those recipes! I need some kind of jumpstart in the cooking area these days. 😆

• Franny
      5 Jan 2019 at 2:49 pm

It always amazes me that some folks will offer all sorts of advice and commentary regardless of the situation or how well they know you. Yesterday, I had a complete stranger tell me that I should let my bangs grow out because they are “out of fashion.” ugh.

Yeah, I don’t know what it is about me/my blog that attracts the loons. I would never email a blogger to bitch about their weight, or to tell them that they are a phony for this or that reason.

Stay tuned! I just bought a new cookbook that looks amazing!

3. 7 Jan 2019 at 2:19 pm

I really hope that 2019 will be a happier year for you. Wow, you have dealt with some really nasty comments on your weight journey :-/. It is so depressing when people share their opinion about ones weight. I’m sure that you are the expert when it comes to your health, right?
    Thank you so much for the lovely card from you and Ed <3.

• Franny
      9 Jan 2019 at 12:52 pm

Thank you and a most Happy and Healthy New Year to you!

Yeah, my blog has been the target for nasty comments and the “goth police” for some time. It started around the time I decided to include more vintage and retro styles into my wardrobe. And the weight thing has been since the start of Bat Fit late 2011, early 2012. I caulk it up to folks trying to knock me down. It reflects more about them, then it does me.

4. 8 Jan 2019 at 11:01 am

You do you and ignore the haters! Great plan for 2019 🙂

• Franny
      9 Jan 2019 at 12:52 pm

Absolutely! And thank you!

5. 8 Jan 2019 at 3:56 pm

Happy New Year, friend!

I read this post a few days ago but was locked out from commenting for some reason. I’ve continued to reflect on your mention of not disclosing the numbers and have been sad and disgusted by people. I’m so sorry that people feel they have a right to push their opinion on you. But mean people still suck.

As Plato writes, “A good decision is based on knowledge and not on numbers.”

• Franny
      9 Jan 2019 at 12:55 pm

Locked out? That’s weird. I wonder if it has to do with WordPress’ update?

Anywho, it’s all about the journey for me this year. The destination will be sweet, but the journey will definitely kick ass!

6. Lainey
    10 Jan 2019 at 10:37 am

Good luck to you and your resolutions. It pains me to hear that people come on to be mean, and to take joy in something that you struggle with and have noted you are unhappy about. That’s an ugly way to live. I hope you are able to shut that out more. Here’s to a better 2019!

• Franny
      11 Jan 2019 at 11:08 am

Thanks! People are just weird; and like I said, it reflects on what kind of person THEY are and not on who I am. Sending love for the New Year.

7. Jenna
    22 Jan 2019 at 1:40 pm

Omg, people are freaks. On xmas eve a woman growing out her short hair turned down my suggestion of a bob because its old fashioned and out of style. What rock was she living under?( still do hair because I cant find a local LIS job)

Comments are closed.